Wednesday, June 12, 2019

     While raking leaves I noticed a small tree which stood out among the brush. The leaves were quite unique. It looked to me like part of the leaf, which was in the shape of a thumb, was missing. I had never seen this tree before so it was a new discovery for me. 





 The tree is located on the edge of a row of trees near the Hackberry tree. It was leaning over a bit. I noticed it was because there were vines twisting around it's small trunk. I carefully untwisted each one and later will find a support for the tree so it will be able to stand straight and tall.






     Through my research, which was very hard trying to describe the leaf on Google, I found out that the tree is a Red Mulberry which is native to the South.
I will clear the brush around it a little more but will do a better job after the robins leave their nest which is located in a tree to the right. I have no idea how old the tree is so I will just have to keep an eye on it to see when the mulberries arrive. Some sites indicate that the tree must be ten years old before it produces berries. This tree will provide more food for the birds and squirrels. Hopefully one day we will get to enjoy it's sweet fruit.


                                                                    



No comments:

Post a Comment