Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Daffodils to Dandelion Wishes

     First comes the daffodils, blooming from the green patches located on the edge of the small ditch that carries the water from high upon the ridge down to the lower part. They arrive in yellows and next in whites. I love to pick the fragrant flowers to bring them in the house to fill a few of the vases I have acquired over the years. My kitchen window sill displays my collection.


Right around the corner comes April along with the Redbud which is also located along the same small ditch. It is the only
Redbud on the property. One fall I gathered seeds from it but haven't planted them yet. Next the white dogwood blooms along another small ditch that also carries water down the ridge but in a different direction. Sometimes I feel like I am living on an island.



     Along with the trees, the robins, blue jays and cardinals appear eagerly waiting for me to fill and refill the birdbath. They can be heard singing their morning songs and seen gathering twigs to build their nests. Other birds have been known to appear such as sparrows, woodpeckers and brown thrashers but the first three are regulars and stay around bringing their young into the world in the many trees located on the property. Sometimes they will dig up the sunflower seeds that I have planted so the quantity of sunflowers that I get to grow depends on the birds and the rain. The first year I planted the seeds, one sunflower grew to its full height. The next year I had two to bloom. This year I am hoping for many sunflowers. I planted the seeds right before the rains began in April and now I have many small plants coming up from the ground. Only time will tell. I must remember to keep them watered otherwise they will dry up. I am excited about the possibility of many sunflowers!


     In Mid April, Easter arrives and is celebrated. Dandelions
cover the ground in their yellow dots and magically white
puffballs of potential wishes arise from them. Standing tall waiting for anyone to pluck them and blow a gentle breeze so their seeds can be carried across the lands. Do you ever make wishes with dandelions. Did you when you were a child? You are never too old to pick a flower or weed and give it to someone, put it in a vase or close your eyes and make a wish.

     A wish is hoping for something? What things do you hope for? Are they material objects such a new car or new house or to win the lottery? Or do you wish for peace, love, someone to get well, or a miracle? I have found that wishing or praying rarely works on myself but when I am wishing or praying for someone else the wish or prayer is most certainly granted. Just as Jesus died for us because he loved and cared about us, we should focus our wishes and prayers on others.


No comments:

Post a Comment