Monday, March 10, 2014

Do You Know What This Is?

     While I was out photographing this winter I came upon this unusual stick-branch-young tree standing where two waterflows diverge. I don't like cold weather so that is why you haven't seen any posts from me. But on one sunny, cold day I decided to take a gander and see what could possibly be on the grounds. I had seen this nature stick before but just didn't photograph it or think about it too much. It is pretty unusual to me because I don't know anything about it. I began my research by googling tree with thorns.




     Some of you to nature buffs know exactly what it is! Well, to my surprise, I learned it is called a Devil's Walkingstick. I have heard of that before but never really knew what it was. I think I would like to much rather call it by its other name - Hercules Club. When spring arrives I plan to go out and take another picture of it. 
     I found out that Adams' Country Retreat has something in common with a few Botanical Gardens. One can find this tree on a their grounds also. I know for sure at the Garvan Woodland Gardens in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas and at the Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis. It is suppose to flower in July or August and have fruits in August or September. It is a great wildlife cover and the fruits are eaten by many types of birds: cardinals, sparrows, thrushes, mockingbirds, robins, rusty blackbirds, orioles, bluebirds and towhees. I also captured a nice picture of a towhee that was following me around while I was taking pictures. He must be waiting around for this tree to fruit. The flowers attract bees and numerous butterflies - which I am happy about because I love watching the butterflies!

No comments:

Post a Comment